Locksmithing/Class 6 Drawers Stuck

The safe in question is a Class 6, 5-drawer safe.  The control drawer and the bottom three drawers are stuck open and the top drawer is stuck shut. It looks like the left side latch of the top drawer doesnt move or "release".  Any ideas, or recommendations?  I hear you had a checklist or steps to troubleshoot an issue such as this.

Hi Edmund,

I'm not sure where you came up with the "checklist" for trouble shooting mechanical issues.   In general, mechanical issues require hands on diagnostics and trouble shooting.   While it may be a simple problem, it may also be something mechanical which is damaged.

If you can't identify the problem with the container in front of you, then chances are it is going to require a safe technicians visit to diagnose and repair the problem.

If you have decided on making it a DIY project, then you will need to isolate and test EACH drawer individually.   If that drawer is operating correctly, then you can rule it out.

So basically you will have to check each of the five drawers and the gang locking mechanism.   While the drawers are out, I would also recommend checking each cavity to ensure nothing has fallen behind the drawer, blocking its operation.   Also check out each and every slide rail to ensure that a screw is not loose or debris have blocked its travel.

If you still can't figure out what the problem is, then it's probably time to contact a local safe company to have their trained safe technician check it out.

Check your yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for a local company.   IF you don't have one, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see if I know of or can recommend someone in your area.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)