Locksmithing/Combination Lock

Question
Steel Lock
Steel Lock  
Bought a cabinet with a Steelmaster Combination lock made by the Art Steel Co with a model number I believe AG-114. Is there a way to obtain the combination or create a new one?

Answer
Hi Ben,

Question, is the compartment door open or locked closed???

If the door is open, then yes you can easily recover the current combo.    If it is locked closed, then you have two options:

1.   You can test dial ALL possible combinations until you find the correct one, OR

2.   You can have it opened by a safe tech from a local safe company.

If you elect to try option 1, you need to set up a spread sheet to keep track of the possible number of combinations.    As the actual combo is only on two of the there wheels, and as there are only 40 numbers on the dial, this would give you about 1600 total combinations to test dial.    You should be able to run through these on a weekend.

These small locks usually have only two wheels and a drive wheel.  The dialing sequence would be:

3 times right to the first number,
2 times left to the second number,
1 time right to the third number (or when the dial stops - which would be your third number).

If you turn the dial slowly one revolution you should feel a "Click, click" at one point.  This will be the last number, or where the driver engages the lever to retract the lock bolt.

Combination changing - The dial has a square shaft coming out of it.  This shaft goes through the lock and engages the drive cam.  Depending on the position of the cam, your lock has four potential combinations.  After you have determined your combination, you can simply remove the lock, reposition the cam so that it engages the dial shaft in one of the four locations.  Depending on which direction you rotate the cam, you will need to add 10, 20, or 30 numbers to your combination to get the other three possible combinations for your lock, then test dial, as above, until it unlocks.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)