Locksmithing/Gary Safe Co. Los Angeles-Cincinnati

Question
Hi Andy. I have a safe we can't get open.  The safe is a Gary.  The plate on the front says Gary Safe Co. City of Industry, 66059.  It is located on a 10" round silver door with the lock in the center of it. The safe is 34"T x 21 1/2" W x 22" D. I think it was purchased in 1970's by my father, who poured about 1000 lbs of concrete into it.  I am unsure if he bought it new or used. We have the combination, which used to work, but now it does not.  We are located in Sequim, WA, about 2 hrs NW of Seattle.  Do you know what the fire rating of this safe is, and any suggestions for getting into it?  Sequim is a beautiful place to visit on vacation....just sayin'!!!  Thank you for any help on this.  Joanne

Answer
Hi Joanne,

There are ONLY three reasons that a safe lock doesn't work - in order they are:

1.   Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors
2.   Incorrect combination, wrong numbers
3.   Mechanical problems.

As you have indicated you have opened the safe WITH the combination that you have I have to assume that the problem is either 1 or 3 above.    As you possibly (and your father) have NEVER had the safe serviced, there is a good possibility that the problem is mechanical in nature, however as I doubt you open it on a regular basis, it good just as well be a simple dialing error.

Fortunately for you (talk about timing) it just so happens that I AM coming up to your neck of the woods in July!   Just saying!    Actually I'm dropping my youngest grandson off in Port Ludlow on July 11th for a two week training cruise on the tall ship Lady Washington (just in case you didn't know she and the Hawaiian Chieftain were going to be in port.   They actually had to move the schedule from Port Angeles to Port Ludlow due to a dock problem that wouldn't be repaired in time for the visit.   But I digress!

I will possibly have some time on Sunday the 10th and Monday the 11th after dropping him off to look at your safe, if your interested.   We are actually staying in Edmonds, WA and will have to take the Ferry over.

If you are interested let me know and we can discuss the safe.   I would also like to have a couple photos of it, so I can do a bit of research before coming up.

Send an email to me at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com    

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)