Locksmithing/Mosler 2 drawer fire proof safe

Mosler 2 Drawer safe
Mosler 2 Drawer safe  
I have a 2 drawer fire proof safe that has been in the family for at least 50 years.   The movers moved this to another location today, and removed the two drawers (one with key lock, the other no lock).   They are unable to get the drawers to go back and fully close safe anymore.   We had searched online but no luck to locate a reason why the drawers go half-way in, but will not close fully.   The 2 drawer safe is worthless if I can't close and am desperate for help.   Can you please contact me to see if your expertise may have the reason for why they will not glide all the way.

Hi Jim

It was good talking to you on the phone about your old Mosler container.

As we discussed, please not that containers over 50 years old do not meet any current standards for fire resistance.    SMNA quit labeling these containers between 1962-64, so this would put your container over the 50 year mark.

Recommend that it only be used for general purpose storage of documents.    No overnight storage of cash, jewelry or very valuable documents.

The drawers for these units are a bit tricky, but if you line up the lower drawer slides with the attachments on the drawers, you have to tilt the back end up slightly to get over the first set of wheels, and then let the back end down while lifting the front end and sliding the drawer in.    

Glad your mover was able to figure the problem out and reinstall the drawers.

If I can be of any other help or service please feel free to contact me again.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)