Locksmithing/Mosler 2 drawer fire proof safe

Question
Mosler 2 Drawer safe
Mosler 2 Drawer safe  
I have a 2 drawer fire proof safe that has been in the family for at least 50 years.   The movers moved this to another location today, and removed the two drawers (one with key lock, the other no lock).   They are unable to get the drawers to go back and fully close safe anymore.   We had searched online but no luck to locate a reason why the drawers go half-way in, but will not close fully.   The 2 drawer safe is worthless if I can't close and am desperate for help.   Can you please contact me to see if your expertise may have the reason for why they will not glide all the way.

Answer
Hi Jim

It was good talking to you on the phone about your old Mosler container.

As we discussed, please not that containers over 50 years old do not meet any current standards for fire resistance.    SMNA quit labeling these containers between 1962-64, so this would put your container over the 50 year mark.

Recommend that it only be used for general purpose storage of documents.    No overnight storage of cash, jewelry or very valuable documents.

The drawers for these units are a bit tricky, but if you line up the lower drawer slides with the attachments on the drawers, you have to tilt the back end up slightly to get over the first set of wheels, and then let the back end down while lifting the front end and sliding the drawer in.    

Glad your mover was able to figure the problem out and reinstall the drawers.

If I can be of any other help or service please feel free to contact me again.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)