Locksmithing/Mosler Safe and Lock Co. Floor Safe

Question
We would like to know the weight of our safe and when it would have been manufactured.  Moving ahead we may want to have it valued.
The size is 25W x 30H x 21D
The only number we saw on the handle was  #132113  
Lock does say Mosler safe & Lock Co. Hamilton Ohio

Answer
Hi Janet,

Very interesting.    Safe serial number 131891 still showed the Cincinnati, OH location - before the move to Hamilton in early 1891, so some where between the 222 safes made between this one and your safe, the company moved to the new facility.

Fortunately for us, this gives you a REALLY great idea of when your safe was made.

As far as the weight of the safe, I would need to see what you actually have.    There were a couple different types of safe made at this time - fire resistive type safes and Bankers type safes.     I've got a small bankers safe in my show room that is about 24"x24"x24" that weighs about 2200 lbs.     A fire resistive safe about the size that you indicated could be between 400 to 800 lbs.   So you can see depending on WHAT the safe actually is, the weights could be very different for the same size safe.

In order to give you a better idea, I would need to see the safe.    I'll need photos for that.

In order to answer questions, identify, evaluate or appraise the “current condition” of your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos (close-ups) should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please use a “jpeg” format, not a bitmap (bmp) image.   Also, I don’t like “website” photo dumps.   While it may be an easy place for you to store them, retrieving photos which allow me to zoom in to look at details, takes a lot of extra time.   Please send the requested photos directly to me.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)