Locksmithing/older safe with yale lock

Question
lever and dail
lever and dail  

complete front
complete front  
I have read some of your answers for safes with Yale combination locks. I included some photos of the safe I am trying to open. I have the combination and i have also had it opened before. The "instructions" I have are the first number left 4 times, next 3 then 2 and then the last once. So after that last number, does one stop at that number and then turn to "10" wheres its supposed to stop or just turn til it stops supposedly around 10 as my "instructions" read? Can you start from anywhere or do you have "reset" the sequence? If so, what is the technique for resetting to start reentering the numbers?

Answer
Hi Chris,

Generally - instructions are "passed on" the way the previous owner understands them and NOT necessarily the way the lock works.

Most Yale locks dial as follows:

4 times right to the first number,
3 times left to the second number,
2 times right to the third number,
1 time left until the dial stops (between 5-10)

so it would appear that your instructions may not be correct.

Yes you can start anywhere.   There is no "clear" sequence or reset.    Simply start dialing clockwise (right) and stop the FOURTH time the first number arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.    Then turn counter clockwise (left) stopping the third time the second number arrives at the index mark, and so on.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)