Locksmithing/Schwab safe

Question
I bought an old Schwab safe at an antique dealer,combination included. It has star safe mfg on the dial. Neither the store,the seller,or myself can get open unfortunately. R2x number L one turn past number to number R to 1 stop press and turn..then doesn't open. Any suggestions? It's an in the floor type model F912

Answer
Hi Len,

I received the photos you sent directly to me.   Here is the answer that I returned

As suspected – the safe was actually built by “Star Safe Manufacturing”.    Current manufacturer of these doors is AMSEC (American Security Products, Fontana, CA).    Schwab was just a dealer, and the logo was simply so you would come back to them.

This is one of the older Star doors, while parts are available, they are for the newer style doors.    I’m not sure if they will even work on your door – so you don’t want damage done while opening it.

The proper dialing sequence for this door is as follows:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right stopping at zero (0) – push dial in, and continue right to stop – about 75.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o’clock index mark (looks like a Y).   

I don’t believe the combination that you have is for this safe – notice the serial number written on the combo card does not match the serial number on the safe, and also, the dialing sequence on the card does NOT match what I have provided above.

You basically have two options available at this time, you can test dial all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations for the lock on this door, or you can have it opened by a safe technician at a local safe company.

andy

Hi Len,

I would have to see what you actually have, but based on the info, it doesn't sound like an antique safe - so I'm wondering why you would buy it from an antique dealer????

There are ONLY three reasons that a safe lock doesn't open.   In order they are:

1.   Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors,
2.   Incorrect combination, wrong numbers
3.   Mechanical problems.

Based on your description, sounds to me like the problems you are having may be a combination of either items 1 and/or 2.

Again, I will need to see your safe to determine what you actually have, to have an idea WHAT lock is installed, so that we can come up with the correct dialing sequence for that lock.

The dialing sequence also isn't correct for the majority of the locks that I see on Schwab safes.   I'm not sure where you came up with a "model" F912, but again, I'm not sure this is a Schwab model number.   There are a couple other manufacturers that have models similar to this though - so again, I will need to see your safe.

I'll need good quality, in focus photos of the full safe, and close ups of the dial, handle, hinges, castors or supports, and ANY name plates, plaques or decals on the safe.   Also I'll need your combination EXACTLY as written down, so that I can try to decode it for you.    Many times previous owners pass on the combination the way that THEY understand it, and NOT necessarily the way that the lock works.

Send all of the requested photos to me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com

As soon as I get a chance to look at them, I'll try to get back to you with a better answer.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)