Locksmithing/Star Floor safe no combination

Question
We recently purchased our home and found a floor safe under the carpet in the master closet.  We contacted the previous owner but they didnít have any knowledge of the safe.  Itís a Star and the serial number is 499,196.  The home was built in 1992 so we are assuming the safe was installed about that time.  You had said in a previous answer that you may be able to do a combination search if the serial number was over 370,000, so I am hoping that option could work in this case.
You also said that it could cost $350.00 to $500.00 for a technician to come out and drill the safe.  We were quoted $350.00. Any help or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi Mari,

The cutoff number is 370940 - so yours should be okay.

My first recommendation would be to do the factory record search.    Cost will be MUCH cheaper than having to have it opened.     I WILL need you to send a request directly to me as we have forms which need to be filled out.

Send your request to me at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com

NOTE:    There is no guarantee that the combination on record is correct as the combination on the safe may have been changed at any time.    The factory will ONLY have the combo which was listed at the time it left the factory.

As for their having to drill the lock, as this door has a proprietary, manipulation resistive lock, this is the best method if done correctly.

As far as the cost, you should query them to ensure you understand ALL of the costs.    Many times there may be hidden costs that can really raise the $$$ numbers.

For example, WHAT are the:

1.   Mobile Service / Trip charges:          _______________

2.   Opening charges:          _______________

3.   Repair Charges:          _______________

4.   Parts Charges:          _______________

The mobile service or trip charge, is the cost to get the safe tech to your location and return.
Open/repair charges:   Some companies charge an hourly rate.   there is no incentive for them to hurry as the longer they are there the more they make.     Some companies charge separate OPEN and REPAIR charges.     We flat rate our open & repairs, so it doesn't matter if I take 1 hour or 1 week, it doesn't cost you any extra.

If the opening is done correctly, then repairs should be very easy.    The single small hole can easily be repaired on site.    For instance all of my vehicles carry MIG welders.    Find out how your service company plans on repairing your safe.    Bottom line if the repair doesn't meet or exceed the standard the safe was built to, then it is an inferior repair and WILL leave you vulnerable in a future robbery/burglary.

Parts:    Unfortunately this is a hard one.    If the opening is done correctly, the lock should have very little damage that can't be cleaned up and no parts may be required.    If the lock is damaged, then a new parts kit for that door is around $375 to $400!!!!    At this point I would probably recommend getting a complete new door as it is about $490 - and comes with a 1 year warranty!!!

I don't have a problem with the price you were quoted, as long as it includes everything but parts.    Please verify what the $350 covers, and what condition your door will be in afterwards.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)