Locksmithing/Cole Steel combo file cabinet and safe

Question
I have a Cole Steel combo file cabinet and safe with no combination to the safe. How do I set a new combo? is there a way?

Answer
Hi Russ,

The question is - is the safe locked open or closed???

If the safe is locked closed, you can't do anything until it is open.    If it is open, the lock must be disassembled to set a new combination - I don't recommend this as a DIY project as if one piece is misplaced you will wind up with an expensive lock out.

If the safe is locked closed you have two options:
1.   you can test dial ALL of the possible combinations until you find the correct one, or

2.   you can have it opened by a safe tech from a local safe company.

So the first question would be:    WHAT is the current condition of the safe???    Locked Open, or locked closed???  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)