Locksmithing/Combination to old victor patent safe

Question
Victor patent safe
Victor patent safe  
My husband inherited this safe. Been the family for years. It's unlocked, but we can't close it, so now trying to figure out the combination. I read on something you wrote and willing to try it, but need to be more specific.
Here it reads,
First number plus 35 will be second number. I don't understand what you meant by this. I would greatly appreciated if you would explain it to me.
Thank you,
Elizabeth Pugh

Answer
Hi Elizabeth,

Don't even worry about trying a decode for one of the safes.   As long as your safe is open, it should be relatively easy to come up with the combination.

Recommendation #1  Take it to a local safe company to have them recover the combination for you.   It will be relatively easy for them to do, I can't imagine that they would charge you more than $35 to recover it, and fortunately there are a number of good safe men in the Nicholasville and Lexington areas.    Nicholasville is where most of the safe training schools are.    
If you were to bring it into my shop, I would probably do it for free, though I'm in California.

If you can't take the whole safe, the door should lift off the hinges - just take that.   And don't forget to clean and Relube the hinges and hinge pins when you put it back together.

Recommendation #2   If you can't take it in, they can come to you, though obviously the cost would be more.

Not really a recommendation but #3   The DIY method.   Remove the back cover from the door to reveal the lock and bolt work.   Recover the combination by observation of the lock while dialing.   Test the numbers you recover several times before even thinking about closing and locking the door.    Note:   If you make even a small error, it could mean an expensive lockout!!!

The dialing sequence WILL depend on the lock installed on your safe, but it will be one of the following two:

3 times right to the first number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops (last number)

or

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,

Note:   left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Again, if you can't figure it out using these instructions and by observing the lock then see recommendation #1.

If you don't have a local safe company let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Best of luck with this little beauty.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)