Locksmithing/A MULTITUDE OF KEYS

Question
MY FATHER RECENTLY DIED AND AS I HAVE BEEN LOOKIING THRU HIS THINGS I HAVE COLLECTED A MULTITUDE OF KEYS. LARGE ONES, SMALL ONES, SQUARE ONES, ROUND ONES, SOME THAT SAY DO NOT DUPLICATE......ETC ETC. HE WAS NOT THE TYPE OF MAN TO KEEP USELESS THINGS SO I AM AFRAID TO GET RID OF ANY OF THEM. HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHAT THE KEYS GO TO?

Answer
Hi Mary Ann,

Unfortunately without simply checking every lock that you find, that your father may have come into contact with there isn't any way of telling where or what any individual key went.

While I may be able to narrow it down a bit by looking at the keys to indicate that a specific type might go to a door lock or padlock or suitcase,  that would be about as close as we could get.

I would recommend that you take the keys to a local locksmiths shop as it would be much easier than your sending me dozens of photos of the keys.    They should be able to narrow it down a bit, by indicating whether or not a key goes to a particular type of lock.    THEN you can narrow down your search by applying or trying THOSE keys to the type of locks that you find, that may be associated with your fathers stuff or property.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but there isn't any way of tracing any particular key to a particular lock.

Good luck with your quest.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)