Yes I have a Montgomery safe 9026 and I lost the combination is there a way to get it open?   Without destroying it

Hi Doug,

Well I've got bad news and good news!

Bad news - Montgomery Wards was selling safes which were manufactured by several companies - your's is possibly either a Meilink or a Saga safe.    There are no records available in either case to try to recover the original combination.

Good news is - yes your safe can be opened without destroying it.

You have two options here - first, you can simply test dial every possible combination until you find the one that unlocks the door.   Depending on what safe you actually have AND the lock installed, it may have up to 1,000,000 possible test combinations.   Testing 500 each and every day will only take about 5.5 years - but it is free!      Unless you count the value of your time???

Second option would be to have it opened by a safe technician from a local safe company.    As locks for these safes are generally NOT going to be readily available, they should be able to open the safe without ruining the lock.
The downside to this option is that this service is probably going to cost more than the safe is worth.

Recommendation -   If nothing of value is inside the safe, save your money and buy a new safe - hopefully much better than either of the ones listed above.
If you have valuables that need to be removed - again, have it opened by a safe technician from a local safe company.

As far as pricing, it depends on the company so you will have to discuss this with them.   I generally have the following three pricing options:
1.  Open AND repair the safe, recovering the combination - most expensive.
2.  Open the safe, no repairs - least expensive
3.  If you buy a new safe of better quality, many times we will open your safe at no cost.   The key word here is "you are BUYING a new safe of better value!

actual pricing varies from company to company and whether or not you can take the safe in to them or if they have to make a "trip" to visit you.

Hope this explains your options - if you need actual pricing contact some local safe companies to discuss the project with them.    Check your local yellow pages under "safes & vaults", or if you don't anyone local, let me know your zip code and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)