Locksmithing/Safe buried in my yard

Question
Lock stamp
Lock stamp  
Tagging on iside door
Tagging on iside door  
QUESTION: I found an old safe buried in my yard.  It measures 12 inches cubed. At least one inch thick cast iron it has been cut up with a torch. It has a Sargent and Greenleaf R 6725 lock.  Underwriters Laboratories Inc inspected relocking device 447891. Spfg b1 s.m.n.a group3, 10y433?  Can you tell me anything about this? Circa?  It appears to be a unit that was mount in a wall or something with metal straps of sorts coming off of it.

ANSWER: Hi Sarah,

I can't tell much from the photos supplied.   As far as the labels, they have nothing to do with the individual safe, other than to tell us WHAT standard it was built to.    In this case it was a "Group 3, Burglary Resistive Chest".   

The Group 3 chests utilized a round door, with a minimum door thickness of 1-1/2" exclusive of the boltwork and minimum 1" thick steel walls.   It would have been a lug type door, or had locking bolt work, protected by drill resistant inserts or pins.    The outside surface of the body and door would have been from case hardened, drill resistant steel.

These safes were meant to protect larger volumes of cash - possibly in the $40K to $75K range.

Being buried in the yard and torched open, would indicate to me that it may have been involved in a burglary or robbery.    You may want to check back through records of previous tenants and/or match up records in the area of burglaries to see if anything matches.

As far as age of the safe, I would need to see much better photos of the safe to try to narrow it down some, however I can tell you that the Safe Manufacturers National Association (SMNA) quit testing/labeling safes sometime between 1962-64, so the safe would have been made prior to this date, but opened sometime between then and when you found it.

Very interesting, hope you get more info to fill in the story.

Safe
Safe  
Safe
Safe  
QUESTION: More photos.  1st one shows front and whoe cut in it.  2nd is the straping i believe held it in place maybe in a wall or floor.  There isno casing on it just cast iron with straps weded to it.  I have more pics can ony oad 2 at a time.  Where would i look for markings on the safe?

ANSWER: Hi Sarah,

There may not be any markings.    If the door is still intact (more or less) I may be able to id it from photos.

Door
Door  

Door
Door  
QUESTION: Here is a pic of the front door, the hinges have been knocked off and i believe there was a dial in the midde, its hard to see in the picture but it looks ike a small hole with a rod in the middle.  It has Sargent and Greenleaf R6725 relocking device.

Answer
Hi Sarah,

AaaaarrrrrggggHHHH!      Darn it, too much of the door is missing to ID it.

Based on the photos and the hinge mounting bolt holes, it looks like a "Guardsman Safe Company, LaPorte, Indiana" door.   

Guardsman Safe Company wasn't in business for many years, mainly during the late 1950's into the early 1960's.   While my notes indicate that this company was MAINLY a distributor, selling safes made by other companies, they may have also made a line of these round door safes.    Some distributors had safes specially made for them by other manufacturers and the put their labels on them.   I know this company was involved with the Mosler safe company, either by relabeling safes made by them, having safes made for Guardsman by Mosler or later as an acquisition of Mosler.   However, based on your photos, I would attribute this safe to this company.  Also the time frame is about right for the labels on your safe.

Unfortunately, I can't guarantee that this is the actual manufacturer, but based on the photos, with as much missing from the door, this is possibly the best ID I can get at this time.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)