Locksmithing/Toggle button on lock face, locked out!

Lock face
Lock face  

I live in an older building. My front door has a deadbolt, but additional of the face of the door near the latch there is a button or switch that makes it so the doorknob locks behind me when I close the door. The first time I used it I didn't realize this was the case and panicked because I thought I was locked out. I called a locksmith and he laughed and said that the knob basically has two different modes. He showed me how to unlock it and I though he just turned the key all the way to the left and held it and pushed open but that doesn't seem to be working for me. Is there another step I missed? Can't find any info on this online! I have attached a picture that looks similar to my lock.

Most of those you have to manually press the other button to unlock the door. Open the door and press it to unlock the outside.

This is an older mortise lock and no exact replacements are available.

I'd suggest you contact your landlord, property manager or other to see if you can replace the door so you can use a standard lock.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.