Locksmithing/Cary Safe

Question
Safe image
Safe image  

Serial number
Serial number  
Hi my Father-in-law bought a house and an old Cary Safe came with the house there is no info left on the safe the previous owners of the home said it was left when they bought it as well. I was wondering how do you find out info on the safe? Like combination owners etc? The serial number on the ball of the handle is 151379, I did read that sometimes Cary Co put the name of a business or family on the top portion... The name Temmebly is painted above the door and centered. If you could give us any info it would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi Kristina,

Sorry but there are no "ownership records" available - anywhere.   If you don't know the history of the safe and/or previous owners, then the history basically starts with you.   You can begin documenting previous owners through your own research, so that the documentation will continue with the safe from now on through subsequent owners.

Generally the names of the "possible" original owners were not painted on by the manufacturers but by their sales agents or distributors.   So the name "Temmelby" may have been an owner at some point.   Double check your interpretation of the spelling.

As your safe would have been made around 1917 it was possibly sold between then and 1919, so I would concentrate my search for the name Temmelby (or possibly T.E. Melby) around that time period in the area that you found it.

I'm assuming that you don't have the combination for the lock and that the safe is locked up.   Sorry, but again, there are no records for items like this.   The manufacturer would NEVER publish this type of info for obvious security and liability reasons.   The lock that I would expect to find on this safe would be a Yale Y-6 series, four wheel lock, with a potential of 100,000,000 possible combinations (yes that is 100 million).   As Cary only made about 207,000 (possibly up to 220,000) safes, it is very easy to see that they could have used a LOT of combination variations without ever doing one twice.    Your options include:
1.   Test dialing all of the combinations until you find the correct one.   Testing 5000 each and every day would only take about 55 years to test them all.
2.   contact a local safe company (not a locksmith company) to have the safe opened, combo recovered and the safe serviced for proper operation.

I'm not sure what other info you are looking for about your safe, but I would be more than happy to look at it for you.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)