Locksmithing/Cole safe combination.

Cole safe locker
Cole safe locker  
Hello Mr. Anderson,
  I purchased a Cole filing cabinet last week. It has multiple drawers and a safe in the upper right corner. The dial for the safe is still attached to the locker, but it is missing the locking mechanism. so it doesn't latch closed. Looking around the internet I can not find a replacement lock or mechanism. The face (total height of the dial/and housing) is rather large at about 3 3/8". Could you possibly direct me to a place that I could purchase what I need. Ideally I'd like to keep the current dial ( which has the Cole name on it} and just replace the missing mechanism. The housing for said mechanism (attached to the back of the dial with 2 nuts) has the number 8103-1 and it is cast aluminum I believe.
   Also, I do not have a key for the outer door lock either. It looks like a typical cylinder lock found on a lot of cabinets and even my truck cap. Could I just replace that? How does changing these lock effect it's value? The Cole dial numbers are from 0 to 99,

Hi Tracy,

Sorry I didn't get back to you right away, I've been out of town for several days.

Send me an email directly, so that I can look through my old locks.    I may not have a "Cole" lock, but I may have something that will work.    Send me an email to remind me to look for it, as by tomorrow, I'll have forgotten.

No promises, but I'll look.

As far as the key locks, if you can remove the locks you can take them to any reputable locksmith to have keys made.

As far as changing the locks affecting value - basically this unit has little value.   It is simply considered old office equipment.    If you are thinking of selling it, get what you can to make it worth your while, otherwise you are going to be keeping it for quite some time.

Don't get me wrong, I think these cabinet compilations were cool - they just have no burglary or fire resistance and so meet no standards for protection.

If you are going to sell it, I would recommend selling it as is, as the cost to outfit or retrofit locks may cost more than it is worth.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)