Locksmithing/Cole safe combination.

Question
Cole safe locker
Cole safe locker  
Hello Mr. Anderson,
  I purchased a Cole filing cabinet last week. It has multiple drawers and a safe in the upper right corner. The dial for the safe is still attached to the locker, but it is missing the locking mechanism. so it doesn't latch closed. Looking around the internet I can not find a replacement lock or mechanism. The face (total height of the dial/and housing) is rather large at about 3 3/8". Could you possibly direct me to a place that I could purchase what I need. Ideally I'd like to keep the current dial ( which has the Cole name on it} and just replace the missing mechanism. The housing for said mechanism (attached to the back of the dial with 2 nuts) has the number 8103-1 and it is cast aluminum I believe.
   Also, I do not have a key for the outer door lock either. It looks like a typical cylinder lock found on a lot of cabinets and even my truck cap. Could I just replace that? How does changing these lock effect it's value? The Cole dial numbers are from 0 to 99,

Answer
Hi Tracy,

Sorry I didn't get back to you right away, I've been out of town for several days.

Send me an email directly, so that I can look through my old locks.    I may not have a "Cole" lock, but I may have something that will work.    Send me an email to remind me to look for it, as by tomorrow, I'll have forgotten.

No promises, but I'll look.

Andy@securitysafeusa.com

As far as the key locks, if you can remove the locks you can take them to any reputable locksmith to have keys made.

As far as changing the locks affecting value - basically this unit has little value.   It is simply considered old office equipment.    If you are thinking of selling it, get what you can to make it worth your while, otherwise you are going to be keeping it for quite some time.

Don't get me wrong, I think these cabinet compilations were cool - they just have no burglary or fire resistance and so meet no standards for protection.

If you are going to sell it, I would recommend selling it as is, as the cost to outfit or retrofit locks may cost more than it is worth.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)