Locksmithing/Grandmother's old safe

Question
Safe
Safe  
Good Afternoon,

My grandmother has an old 9031 montgomery wards safe that she has lost the combination to. It is combination only, no keys. We have searched everywhere but are unable to find it. What options do we have for getting into the safe. It has important papers such as birth certificates, wills, passports etc.

Answer
Hi Nikki,

The safe was actually made by the Meilink Safe Company FOR Montgomery Wards.    Meilink was purchased by FireKing International in about 1990.   They only maintain records for the past 10 years, so they wouldn't have any thing which would help you out.

So your options are rather limited to:

1.   You can test dial all possible combinations for your safe.    The lock on this container, made specifically for Meilink, is a three wheel, hand change version with 1,000,000 possible combinations.    Testing 500 variations each day, every day, would only take about 5.5 years, though hopefully you would find the correct combination long before testing them all.

2.   You can have it opened by a trained safe technician from a local safe company.    A trained safe technician will NOT ruin your safe opening it up, and they can recover your combination so that it is still useable.    Cost for this service can run between $350 to $500.

If you can take the safe in to a local safe company they can possibly open it cheaper than if they make a house call.    Check your local yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for a nearby company.

If you don't have one, then let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but hopefully this will give you some direction.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)