Locksmithing/Meilink Deposit Vault

Question
A church had a burglary and the thieves locked the unlocked Meilink safe it only contains historical paperwork. No one knows the combination. On the opening handle it is C 39848, The 50 number dial has "Special Lock" in the center. From research I think it is a Eagle lock.
I have a copy of the Meilink wall chest G codes 1 thru 22. Have tried the G3 combinations, no luck. Listening with a stethoscope I get a "clink" at 38,33 turning left, and 32-33, 37-39 turning right. Also occasionally 7,8,28,45.
Tried G codes 1-22 that contained 32,34,38,40 with no success.
Do the wall chest codes work on a floor safe on casters, the front has a decal with a an outdoors picture, and it says Meilink Deposit Vault. Is there a chart of codes for the Deposit Vaults?

Answer
Hi Arnold,

Sorry, but this is one of the problems with the internet - people looking for legitimate answers, try to apply any and all info they find to their problems - the problem with this approach, is that while you may have a Ford, you can't search Pinto solutions when you have a Mustang!!!!!

First I'll start off with your serial number - no where in your serial number is a "G", so the "G" codes won't work.    The wall safes that the "G" codes apply to would have it written as either:

G-22          22-G
123456        123456     (serial number)

Yours doesn't have either.   So in answer to your question - "NO"  codes that were meant for one series of safes will NOT work on another series.

As for a "chart of codes" for the safes - again "NO"!     Manufacturers NEVER, EVER, EVER publish any information concerning their safes, the locks or the combinations that may have been set, for obvious security and liability reasons.    So you are probably asking "where did the G code combo's come from"???    Good question - locksmiths in the 1940's and 50's looked at many of the safes built by the manufacturers - looking for that magic combination that would unlock the majority of the safes.   While they never found the magic number, because it doesn't exist, they did find some relevant information that they published, ONE of these cases was resultant "G" code series.    Again, this was NOT published or sanctioned by the manufacturer.

So the next question would be how can you use the serial number to find your lost combination???    You can't!    The serial number is simply that, a serial number.    Manufacturers generally don't keep records over around 10 to 20 years.    In cases where the companies no longer exist or they were acquired by other companies, these records were usually destroyed.     Meilink was acquired by FireKing International around the early 1990's.    FireKing only maintains the last 10 years worth of records, and even then if you don't have proof of ownership, they won't even discuss combinations with you.

Okay, what is your next step???    

1.   You can test dial all of the possible combinations for your safe, with a 50 number dial on an Eagle lock, you have about 125,000 possible test combinations to try.    If you only try every other number, you might get that down to about 15,625 possible combinations.

2.   You can have the safe opened and the combination recovered by a trained safe technician from a local safe company.

If you opt for option 1, the dialing sequence for the lock that I would expect to find on your safe - based on the description you have provided, would be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops - lock will be open.

Note:   left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Hope this helps get you started on the RIGHT track, with your safe.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)