Locksmithing/Opening an antique Yale combination safe

Question
I have the combination but cant seem to get it to open.  Any advice would be helpful

Pete

Answer
Hi Pete,

The LOCK is made by Yale, NOT the safe.

The standard dialing sequence for most Yale locks is:

4 times right to the first number,
3 times left to the second number,
2 times right to the third number,
1 time left slowly until the dial stops.    turn handle to open.

Note:   left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Yale made various locks for different safe makers, so the lock may also dial as   LRLR vs RLRL.    If it doesn't open using the above sequence reverse the directions.

If it still won't open you may need to send me photos of your safe as well as the combination that you have, exactly as written so that I can try to decode it.

If it still won't open the numbers may not be correct.   You may need to have it checked out by a safe tech from a local safe company.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)