Locksmithing/Rekey Garage Locks

Question
Happy 4th of July.  We have a house that is about 30 years old and had one garage door key.  There is no make and model on the garage door or the lock.  The key is stamped PYCM.  My wife and I took the key to a dozen different places to try to get it duplicated.  We tried the big stores as well as the local hardware stores, but no one said they carried the blank.

I did a search on the internet and found a key supplier that carried keys for the PYCM lock and there were only two kinds (EA27 and LO1) there was a minimum order of 10, but they were cheap enough, I just bought 10 of each.  I was lucky and the LO1 fit the lock.  Since I had 10 keys, I decided to try to make a spare using a dremel tool and file and was able to do it successfully.  So the first problem is solved; I have 2 keys and know I can make more.

Now, since we've moved in, I think it would be wise to re-key the lock.  I was able to re-key several door knobs and deadbolts on the house doors and storm door.  However, I can't seem to find any information about garages.  I would send a picture but there really isn't much to see.  The outside is the keyway for the LO1 on the lever type handle and the inside has a large T-shaped knob that I can rotate to LOCK the door.  Above the handle is a rectangular box with a smaller knob similar to a deadbolt that UNLOCK the door, it is spring loaded.  I was able to remove box with 4 screws and the back of the box has a cross hole similar to what is in a deadbolt.  The lock on the inside has a piece protruding similar to the back of the deadbolt cylinder (is that called a cam?).

I can't see a way to get to the cylinder to see if any of the pins in my kit could be used to re-key it.  If I could remove the cylinder and be able to get to the pins, all I would do is see if I could replace 1 or 2 pins with a longer pin (which hopefully would be in my kit) and deepen the notch(es) on the existing key.  Is there any place I can go to for some general guidance on garage door locks and various ways that they can be removed; since I don't know exactly what type of lock it is?  Thanks for all the useful information and service you provide.

Answer
Hello Chuck,

It sounds like you have a rim cylinder. The piece on the back is a tailpiece. Turning the key rotates the tailpiece which unlocks the mechanism on the inside.

Remove the inside mechanism. You should then see 2 screws that go through a metal plate. Remove those screws. Remove the cylinder. Replace it with a new one that matches your other keyways (Schlage). You will have to shorten the screws and tailpiece on the new one for it to fit correctly. Don't overtighten the screws or the key won't turn easily.

A locksmith shop has those blanks and new rim cylinders. Try a local one.

James

Locksmithing

James