Locksmithing/safe door will not open, stuck...

Question
I have a Mosler class 5 map plan safe, and the combination dial works as I entered the combo, then I turn the handle fully but the door will not swing open.

I tried putting a paper to determine if it is a bolt work problem, but can't get the paper through.

I also tried inserting screw drivers, and chisels on the top and swinging side to see if the bolts are just barely clinging, but it still won't budge open.

Do you have any recommendations?  I heard that there is a bar below the dial that has been known to come off...

Hope you have some time to help me.  Thank you.

Answer
Hi Phil,

There are a number of potential reasons that the container won't open including:

1.  The lock not retracting fully,
2.  lock bolt extension coming loose - if the container is fitted with one,
3.  handle drive cam disconnected or broken drive pin,
4.  broken or disconnected bolt work or connecting rods.

If the lock is working correctly and if the handle is turning fully, then I would assume a disconnected handle cam, broken drive pin, broken or disconnected bolt work or connecting rods.

I generally don't put any faith into "things I've heard", I concentrate on the items I can actually determine on the container.    Wasting time on conjecture based on unsubstantiated problems with YOUR container is a waste of time.   That being said what was it Sherlock Holmes  (Arthur Conan Doyle) said - "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Now for the big problem, as this is a GSA container, if it is to continue being a GSA container, for whatever reason, then it MUST be opened and repaired IAW FEDSTD 809B.   You don't have a choice.

If you don't need it as a GSA container, and you open and repair the container with ANY method other than those listed in FEDSTD 809B, then the GSA labels MUST be removed as it no longer meets the container standards.

If you are not familiar with GSA containers and FEDSTD 809B, then I would recommend that you contact a local safe company who either has the training or is very familiar with opening and repairing these containers.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)