Locksmithing/schwab safe

Question
I recently purchased a Schwab safe at a garage sale. It measures 20" 20"26" high.I would like to use it for a living room end table. I don't have the combination.  Is there a way to open it without major damage?
Thank you in advance.
Phil

Answer
Hi Phil,

You have several options, though some are probably not as good as others.

1.  Contact the manufacturer to see if the have any records for your container.   Unfortunately Schwab was acquired by Sentry Group (Sentry Safes) in Aug. 2008.   They WILL require that you have documentation that you own the safe - chances are you didn't get any documentation from the garage sale that will suffice.   You can check out their website to see what other options you have.   You can also contact their Customer service at 800-828-1428.   They also don't keep records must past 10 years, so if your safe is older than 2006 they MAY not have any records for your safe.   You WILL need the serial number for the safe.

Also, "IF" they have records and a combination for your safe, it would be the original combination that was set on the safe when it left the factory - "IF" it has ever been changed, they will NOT have a record for it.    They also have a fairly high "admin" fee for records searching.

2.   You can test dial all possible combinations for the lock on your safe.   Chances are the lock is a Sargent & Greenleaf (S&G) 6700 series lock, which has 1,000,000 possible test combinations.   Testing 500 each day will only take you about 5.5 years to test them all.

3.   Contact a local safe company to have their trained safe technician (not a locksmith) open your safe for you.    While Manipulation is possible you may not have a service tech in your area that is trained in this method and/or competent.   Manipulation is NOT a guaranteed method either.   Even the best safe techs still may have problems or some locks will simply not talk.

With Manipulation you are paying for the service and not necessarily the result.

Drilling, if done correctly by a trained safe tech will NOT damage the safe.   The usually small hole, generally less than 1/4", can easily be repaired.   If done correctly it may not even be necessary to replace any parts.   If done by an untrained safe technician they can possibly turn your safe into "Swiss Cheese"!

My recommendation if you decide not to use options 1 or 2, would be to contact a local safe company to discuss prices and options available.   As the safe is fairly small, if you can take it in to their shop, the prices may be MUCH less than having them make a service call to your location.

Check your local yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for local companies.   If you don't have one, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Hope this helps,  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)