Locksmithing/Cary Safe

Hi, I have a Cary Safe with the #175156 on the handle. I don't have the combination (it hasn't been opened in the time we've had it, approx. 17 yrs.).  I read that you might be able to refer to someone in my area, Tucson, AZ that I could contact to attempt to open & provide the combination to this safe?  Thank You, Karen

Hi Karen,

Your Cary Safe is from about 1922.   The lock that I would expect to find on it would be a Yale M-16, three wheel, friction fence.    This lock has a possible 1,000,000 possible test combinations.

While I do have someone in the Tucson area, I'm going to provide you with three references in the order that I think is best.

D & F Watanabe     66 miles away
PO Box 12667
Casa Grande, AZ  85230

Interstate Lock & Safe     114 miles away
480-694-9092          Seth Blumberg
16223 N 43rd St.
Phoenix, AZ  85032

Roadrunner Lock & Safe
4444 E Grant Rd #112
Tucson, AZ   85712

Before letting anyone work on your safe discuss what their charges are going to be, how they plan on opening and repairing the safe, and more importantly - what damage should you expect.   While your safe is not yet an antique, it is still collectible.    Parts are not readily available and so any damage that is not easily repairable should be avoided.

While they may not be able to open the safe by manipulation, drilling when done correctly will NOT damage the safe, and the usually small hole can be easily repaired.

If you have any questions concerning their fees or methods, feel free to run it by me BEFORE having them do the work.

Hope this helps,  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)