Locksmithing/Info request Herring safe with Cary lock

Herring safe
Herring safe  
Hi!  This old safe was found in the basement of a recently purchased home located outside Buffalo, NY. The safe is locked and no combination has been located. The markings on the front are 'Herring's Pt' above left wheel and 'Safe, N.Y.' Above right wheel (facing safe)  the door has a dial engraved 'Cary Safe Co., Buffalo, NY' along with patent date Sept 1890, though that is hard to make out.  The door has decorative work that appears consistent with other Cary safes I've seen, however the hinges are not camel back style.  I've attached a pic of the front of the safe and will email additional photos. I'm interested in the age of the safe and any other info you might be able to provide about the maker, as well as a recommendation for a safe technician who might be able to open the safe . Thanks!!!

Hi Gabrielle,

The safe is a Herring - NOT a Cary.      It appears that at some time in the past either the safe was locked up and/or repairs were made with a replacement dial installed.    Obviously the dial is NOT correct for this safe.     This also brings up the question as to whether or not the lock was also changed out.

As to providing you with the name of some one in your area, I would be more than happy to, however I will need to narrow down where the safe is located so I can offer you someone nearby.     Please provide me with your zipcode, and I'll see who I know and/or would recommend.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)