Locksmithing/Old Mosler safe with no combination

Question
Mosler Safe
Mosler Safe  

Mosler safe
Mosler safe  
We recently came upon an old safe in one of the back rooms of our church. I remember it as a young person when my Dad was on the finance committee in about 1975. We have no combination. We have thought of putting it on E-Bay or similar, but with no combination, we're just not sure. Can we get a combination? It also mentions a key on the door tag. Is there value to this safe?

Answer
Hi Lela,

These Mosler round, lug door money chests were very popular during the 1950's through the 1970's but pretty much became obsolete around the early 1980's.    Consumers wanted full access to the interior which the round doors didn't offer.    Manufacturers quit making these safes in favor of square door safes.

Question:   Do the newer style safes offer better protection than these older safes.   In my, and many other safe techs opinions the answer is no.   Rather than coming up with a BETTER design, manufacturers responded to customers that were more interested in the COST of something rather than the actual protections that it offered.    While newer composite safes DO meet the UL requirements for burglary protection, they simply don't incorporate the thick tool resistant steels that was part of these safes.

That being said you have several problems with your safe which effect any value.

#1 - The safe is obsolete and parts no longer exist for repairs.
#2 - Weight - heavy safes are not easy to move, meaning $$$'s in moving costs.
#3 - Maintenance - combination recovery and service to ensure they are operational

Assuming that both doors are open but don't have combinations - cost to recover them and service the doors could be around $200-$300.     If the lower door is locked up and needs to be opened (can't tell from your photos), this could cost an additional $500 to $1000.

Selling the safe in "as is" condition, potential buyers also have to take in to consideration the above costs.

With both combinations and doors in proper working condition, value of this safe is probably around $500.    Problem is finding a buyer willing to spend this much, knowing that it will cost them $$$'s to move the safe and get it in proper operation.    These are all negative values.

Most safe companies would probably charge you $400-$600 to haul it away for disposal.

Sorry the news isn't better.   While everything has value, somethings simply have negative values.

"IF" you elected to keep the safe and have it serviced and operational, if everything is working and you have a use for it, I think this would be a really good safe, which will provide good security for your valuables.   Selling it though is definitely a horse of a different color, and may not work out as well.

Good luck with it.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)