Locksmithing/Old Sentry Safe

Question
Hi Terry,
    I have an old Beige color Sentry safe on casters that my Grandparents had in their garage for years and they've passed away. It's approx. 24" tall x 17" wide x 17" deep. The silver name plate is approx. 6" x 6" with the name Sentry in the right corner.In fine print under sentry is written John Brush Rochester N.Y. My question to you is this: While looking for a model number I noticed underneath the bottom of the safe that there's a circle cut out plate  about 5" in diameter that is held on by 2 clips. I popped it off to find a hardened white material inside similar to plaster. It's a perfectly round plate so I doubt my grandfather cut into it but I don't know for sure. Have you heard of this? When trying to pop the dial off it broke so I'm not sure what to do at this point.Trying to figure out the combo now isn't an option. I was wondering about getting access from the cut out underneath by drilling through the plaster if that's what it is. Any thoughts? Thank you so much, I really appreciate any info you can provide. - Tom

Answer
Hi Tom,

The round plate you are referring to is the "FILL PLUG".    The inner and outer shells are formed and fitted together and the last thing that is done is the insulation material is poured in from the bottom.   The plate is simply a way of closing off the hole to protect the insulation on the bottom.

As far as parts and/or repairing Sentry safes, there aren't any parts readily available and these cheaply made safes are only intended to last about 10 years and/or one fire.   They have absolutely zero burglary resistance and so aren't worth the effort to try to restore them.

I'm assuming that what your goal is, is to open the safe to recover what ever is inside the safe.

While I'm sure that you can open the safe or gain access by destroying it, you have to understand that for security and liability reasons, other than telling you how the combination sequence works, we can provide no other information.    We have no idea who you are and/or your relationship to the safe, much less whether or not you are authorized to even work on it.
For these reasons the only recommendation that we can give you would be to contact your local safe company to have the safe opened.
In general with a death in the family, the only way that we would open the safe at this point, is with a letter of authorization from whom ever was appointed as executor of your grandparents estate.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this time.   If you have further questions that I can answer I would be more than happy to.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)