Locksmithing/Can't open sentry safe model CSW3910

Question
My safe is 8 years  and just recently have been unable to open..I have the factory installed combination, the original keys and have had batteries replaced,,even though they are still good.  I have tried calling Sentry and on hold for hours.Can you help me open and or enter another code to gain access?

Answer
Hi Margie,

In general there are only three reasons a safe lock won't open - in order they are:

1.  Operator errors, incorrect dialing or operating sequence.
2.  Wrong combination or code,
3.  Mechanical or electronic problems.

If you have the correct code for your safe and are inputting them correctly and you've changed the batteries then it may be a circuit board or mechanical problem.

First recommendation - if you didn't buy brand new batteries, then replace them again and try it out.    On a regular basis I get calls on similar situations only to arrive to check the batteries and find out they were pulled out of a drawer and they are dead.    Changing batteries does NOT ensure that they are fresh and full of power.    Change them one more time.

Also ensure that they are good quality batteries.   Do not use lithium, rechargeable or cheap batteries like radio shack, Panasonic, imported or off name ones.  use Energizer or Duracell alkaline only.

If it still won't open, check to see that there is a small amount of play in the door and bolt work.   If every thing is bound up, there may be pressure on the bolt work and/or lock solenoid, keeping it from releasing.     Something caught in the edge of the door could cause enough extra pressure to keep it from unlocking.

If you have brand new batteries and the door is not bound up - if it still won't open then it is time to have it checked out by a safe tech from a local safe company.

If you have a code and it isn't working - there are no "extra" factory or secret codes to open the safe.   Generally they come with one code and when YOU change it to your code the original code is gone.   If you are still on the factory set code then there isn't another code that they can give you.    Pretty much they are going to go over the same items I've listed above and then tell you to contact a local safe company.

If you can't get it open and need a tech - check your local yellow pages under "safes & vaults".   If you don't have a local one, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I might know and/or recommend in your area.

Sorry I don't have any magic for you, chances are this is going to be a hands on open & repair job.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)