Locksmithing/Ahern Safe

Question
Ahern Safe
Ahern Safe  

Ahern Safe 1
Ahern Safe 1  
Would like professional opinion of worth of this safe.
Belonged to my grandfather.  I have the original card with combination on it.
Thank you
Nancy

Answer
Hi Nancy,

The safe was NOT made by Ahern Safe, they only SOLD it.   It appears to be a Diebold fire safe.   Check the UL label on the front - it indicates a "Class C" fire resistance rating and a "T-20" burglary rating.

The Class C fire rating means it was built to standard for a 1 hour fire resistance.
The T-20 burglary rating is actually a "TAMPER" resistance, 20 minutes - NOT burglary.

This safe was probably built during the late 1940's into the 1950's.   It does not meet ANY current standards for fire resistance and it isn't a burglary resistive safe.

Basic values:
Fire resistance:     $0     Doesn't meet any standards
Burglary:          $0     Not burglary resistive
Resale:          $0     Has no commercial or retail value.   Should NOT be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.    General purpose storage only.
Antique/collectible: $0    Neither antique or collectible.   Basically it is simply old office furniture.

While it has no value under the above values if it is operational and you have a working combination then value should be between $0 to $350.   Depending on what you can get a potential buyer to come up with and/or what you are willing to let it go for - how fast you need to sell it.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)