Locksmithing/Antique safe

Dear Andy,

Hello and thank you for your time! I have an antique safe and need some guidance. I've inherited this from my great aunt who passed two years ago. She used it until her passing. I know it's some sort of an iron records safe on castors. I have the two keys for the internal door and drawer. The exterior says "California safe & lock co." However the left propeller shaped knob has 114 over 121744 stamped. The round tumbler has "diebold safe & lock co, patented may 28, 1871, canton, O (no h)". I'm interested to know who really made this, despite much searching I'm none the wiser. Also who to market this to. I'd love to see this go to a good home and someone who would be interested in updating her beauty.

Thank you!
Hilary, California

Hi Hilary,

Based on your info, the safe was possibly built by Diebold Safe & Lock Company.   The California Safe & Lock Company was just a sales agent or reseller of safes.    

As Diebold moved to Canton, Ohio in 1872, your safe would have been built after that date.   The patent date ONLY references the date the patent was ISSUED and has nothing to do with the safe or when it was made.     Diebold continued to use this name until about 1943 when it was officially shortened to Diebold, Inc.  

As far as "marketing or selling" your safe, we need to finish IDing it, so I will need much better photos of it.
to sell it, you have several options.   eBay, Craigslist, want ads, flyers, etc.   While you can also use antique dealers or auction houses, these usually also get a hefty commission fee so beware.    If you don't actually have a shop for people to come to look at the safe, it may take quite a while.   Depending on the value you might get someone's attention on eBay - though out of the people that I know, only about 2-3% actually use eBay for purchasing so you are missing a big group.   You might put photos of it on your FaceBook page.   Depending on how fast you need to sell it, you may need to be willing to let it go for below values.

As far as most lock and safe companies possibly buying it - yeah, no!   Safe companies are in the business of selling protection from fire and burglary and these old safes do not offer features which meet current standards.    Generally most lock and safe companies will charge you to haul it away.

If you would like me to look at it to answer further questions I would be happy to.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.
If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)