Locksmithing/Harlock lockset-exterior

Question
 Harlock inside door handle
Harlock inside door h  

Harlock outside door knob
Harlock outside door k  
Hello James, I need to replace a Harlock lockset from an exterior door. I can't see any visible screws on the inside, only a small round detent button on the outside round door knob. I did see a small slot on the inside door handle cover plate.  How do I remove this lockset and which brand of lockset will be easiest to replace it. I would like to utilize a smart key system so I can make all doors use the same key.

Answer
Hello Richard,

I'm not familiar with Harloc brand locks as they aren't used in my area.

The type of lock you have should use a retainer to hold the inside lever in place. There should be a small hole or slot somewhere on the inside lever. Press that retainer to remove the lever. Pry up the rosette (cover plate) and the mounting screws should be under that.

Almost every lock that uses a key has the mounting screws on the inside assembly for security so it's not likely that the mounting screws are on the outside assembly. That being said, if the first option doesn't work, insert a working key into the outside knob and turn it 45 degrees. Depress the small button as you pull the knob off. Pry up the rosette and the mounting screws could be under there.

If you are still unable to remove the lock let me know and I will research this further.

On the other note of the smart key system: STAY AWAY FROM SMART KEY LOCKS!!! Why?
1. They lack any type of security (search for smart key lock videos); and
2. They fail at random times; and
3. They don't last very long; and
4. You are better off buying a $5 lock than utilizing any lock with a smart key system (but I don't recommend a $5 lock).

To make all your doors use the same key, first determine which lock you want to keep. Find the key that fits it. Insert that key into all other locks you want to use the same key. Any lock that the key does not fit in to, replace. A Locksmith can tell you which brand of locks will work with the key you already use and while you don't necessarily have to buy locks from a Locksmith (highly recommended for a variety of reasons), you can buy the lock you need elsewhere then take it to a Locksmith to be rekeyed to match your other key.

James

Locksmithing

James