Locksmithing/safe value

Question
safe 1
safe 1  

safe2
safe2  
1843 Silas C. Herring SAFE
Wilder Salamander name on plate
I have the pin key too!

Answer
Hi Dale,

Your safe is NOT an 1843 Herring safe, unfortunately it's about 7-9 years newer than you believe.   First a bit of history:

At the age of 17 Silas Herring became engaged in the grocery and produce business in Albany, NY.  He remained thus employed for about 6 years, then becoming involved in the lottery and exchange business where in a matter of a few years he had managed to save about $10,000.   In 1834 Mr. Herring started a wholesale grocery store with a partner under the name of Herring & Greene, but the following year was completely burned out and ruined in the economic panic of 1837.   In 1841 he obtained an appointment as sales agent for Enos Wilder's Salamander safes.   Three years later he purchased the sole right to manufacturer them, paying a royalty of 1 cent a pound for the privilege.  He possessed the talents of an inventor himself and applied these to the manufacture of his safes, thereby greatly improving them.   The Wilder patent expired in 1852.   In 1850 Mr. Herring paid a heavy sum to a Philadelphia chemist for a new insulation material, superior to any substance then known to resist fire & heat.   Herring patented this process (May 18th, 1852) and began applying it to his safes later that year.   All of the new safes had the newer patent date.

Beginning around 1849-50 Herring also began using a newly designed and patented lock designed for him by a William Hall - patent date was 1 August, 1848, because of the unique design and the way the key was "expelled" at the end of the locking or unlocking sequence, the lock became known as the "Grasshopper" lock.

As your safe has both the "Wilder patent of 1843" AND the "Grasshopper" lock designed by William Hall in Aug. of 1848, your safe would have been built BETWEEN sometime in 1849 to mid 1852 (when the new patent was issued).

I would be more than happy to look at your safe to see what other info I might be able to provide and/or questions I can answer but I will need much better photos.

In order to answer specific questions, identify, evaluate or appraise your safe, I'm going to need photos.  They should include full exterior and interior.  Detail photos should include pictures of the dial, handles, hinges, artwork, locks, bolt work, castors, cabinetry and any special details or damage.  Note:  You may have to remove the back panel on the door to gain access to the lock & bolt work – I will need these pics.

If you have a particular detail that you have a question about, I will need a photo of it along with your question.

I will also need to see any documentation that you have in regards to your safe.  If your safe has a unique historical perspective, you should be able to document this with letters, newspaper articles or photos, if not it is simply a story and will have no bearing on the value of your safe.

Please use as high a resolution as possible so that I can examine details of your safe.  Pictures which are low resolution, out of focus, or from a distance don’t help when we try to evaluate the container.  Note:  with higher resolution, you may only be able to send 2-4 pictures per email, depending on the size of the file, I have a 12mb limit per email.  If photos are larger than 2mb each, you may only be able to send 2 or 3 photos per email, requiring several emails.

Please don’t send me “cell phone” photos, unless they are very clear and of sufficient resolution.   Also, please don’t use online, internet photo drops as most of these also don’t allow me to easily access the photos for examination.   Send the pics directly to me, while this may be more work for you, it will make my job easier.

Please send all of the requested photos to:  andy@securitysafeusa.com

Note:  As I am in the field several days each week, covering a huge service area, I may not get back to your photos immediately, but I will respond as soon as I get an opportunity.  Due to field work, emails may tend to get backed up which means I may not answer them immediately.

Our informal evaluation is at no charge, however if you feel you need a formal evaluation or appraisal for insurance, estate sales, donations for tax write offs, or to establish it as an antique, there is an administrative fee for this service.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)