Locksmithing/SAGA Saf-D-Posit Model 910 Serial 8662534 UL Listed

Question
I purchased this new and have had it for years. I don't open it very often (except when I need something)  but lately when I attempt to open it, it is getting more difficult to turn the dial.  What, if anything can be done to resolve this?

Thanks for your time and response.

Answer
Hi Beverly,

#1 item on the list should be maintenance.    While the manufacturer may not indicate or even reference that your safe requires some maintenance - EVERY mechanical object REQUIRES some form of maintenance on a regular basis to stay in "good" working order.

#2 unfortunately cheaply made safes like the "SAGA Saf-D-Posit" containers, SICSO Imports (Brinks, Honeywell, First Alert models) and Sentry Safes, are all made of inexpensive materials like plastic and pot metal parts.    These containers are NOT designed to last for a long period of time.   Generally under normal circumstances I would consider 5 years the life of the container, however if taken care of and not in a humid environment this could be up to 10 years or so.
Without service or maintenance the pot metal and/or plastic parts simply wear out or break down.   This is one of those cases where you get what you pay for.

So does this mean that if you buy a better quality safe you are going to be guaranteed more time???   Unfortunately not!   Even on the best quality safes if you want them to operate for a long time with few problems it requires maintenance, though the better quality safes may go much longer between services and the amount of damage is usually limited which means that the problem can be resolved and the safe remain active for much longer without replacing the entire container.

Generally we recommend the following schedules for safe maintenance:

Annually or up to every 6 months for commercial usage and/or where the safe is used VERY frequently.

Every 3 to 5 years for safes used in residential or very low usage applications.

The caveat to BOTH of the above frequencies would be "OR as SOON as a problem is noticed".

Unfortunately problems may creep up slowly, and as you get used to the problem you don't necessarily recognize it as a problem because it seems that "it as always done this"!

Just like the story about how you cook a frog - you put them in a pot of cold water and turn up the heat gradually so they don't know they are being cooked,  maintenance is put off because you DON"T realize that you are having a problem.

Recommendations:

#1  get your safe serviced.   Hopefully this will remedy the problem and your safe will keep working for more years.

#2  As the cost for even BASIC maintenance may cost more than the safe is worth, especially if you have to have a safe technician come to you to service the safe.   I would recommend saving your money and buying a newer better quality safe that actually provides you with some real protection.   The SAGA Saf-D-Posit containers only offered BASIC fire protection for documents.   It has NO burglary protection period!!!!    If you are using this container for anything other than basic document protection from heat or fire, then it should be replaced.

Hope this answers your basic question.   I know I got off onto some other items, but they are all related issues, especially if you are going to have to spend money to keep yours operating.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)