Locksmithing/Tilton and mcfarland safe

Question
Safe 1
Safe 1  

Safe 2
Safe 2  
Have and old tilton and mcfarland safe I'm trying to open. No known key to be found. Alphabet dial a - t. Has the numbers 15321 punched into the knob. Any info would help.

Answer
Hi Brian,

The Tilton & McFarland locks had fairly stiff springs and/so are a pain to try to pick.

In general the correct operation would be to turn the left handle counter clockwise to raise the lock levers.   Insert the correct key.   Turn the left handle back clockwise to the center position.    This allows the key to hold the levers aligned.    Then dial the combination and finish turning the handle right to retract the locking bolts.

You can also dial up the combination and then turn the handle counter clockwise to raise the lock levers, then insert the correct key, then turn the handle fully clockwise to retract the locking bolts.

The problem is that you either need the key to find the combo or you need the combo to try to pick the key lock.    If you don't have either, then it may be necessary to surgically drill the lock to achieve one or both.

Note:   While I would normally indicate that I would recommend using a trained safe technician and NOT a locksmith for safe work - in this case I would ONLY recommend using a trained safe technician who is ALSO VERY familiar with this type of safe.

As these safes are easily 130 to 160 years old and parts have not been available for equally as long, opening and repairing has to be done in a manner that DOES NOT damage the safe or locking mechanism.    I have several of these safes and am very familiar with them and their locks.

As far as providing opening instructions or drilling info - for obvious security and liability reasons we don't provide any info to open safes.   We have no idea who you are and/or your authority to work on the safe.    While I'm sure that you are probably the owner - even if you were a locksmith we have no way of vetting you to give the info to.    I'm sure you can understand why we have this policy.

I would recommend your checking with local safe companies to discuss the project with them.   Check your yellow pages under safes & vaults for local companies.   If you don't have one, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I know and/or would recommend in your area.

sorry I can't be of more help, though if you have any questions about your safe I would be happy to look at them.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)