Locksmithing/Vault Door

Question
outside vault
outside vault  

inside Vault
inside Vault  
We just pulled out an old Vault door from a home we are about to demo.  Can you tell me a bit about it?  I see the Hermann Safe Co San Francisco.  The York Safe & Lock Co is on the inside and it has the marking of the 1915 Highest Honors at Panama Exposition.  Thank you for your time!

Answer
Hi Sandy,

I'm not sure what info you are looking for.

The manufacturer of the safe was the York Safe & Lock Company, York, PA.   This company was in business until the death of their owner C. Forry Laucks in 1942.   Due to several large Navy contracts (WWII), the Navy stepped in and took over the company using the Blaw-Knox corp. as managers.   In 1945 ownership of the York Safe & Lock Company was acquired by Diebold, and the name continued until it was discontinued in 1959.
Chances are this door was made sometime between 1916 and 1930.

The selling agent was the Hermann Safe Company, San Francisco, CA.

As for the "1915 Highest Honors" - the safe was NOT given the highest honors, the York Safe & Lock Company was given this award for their DISPLAY at the Panama Exposition.    Having the award exhibited on every safe they made for the next 20 years was simply their way of "thumbing their nose" at other safe companies - whether they were there or not.

The door appears to be just a standard plate steel door.   Similar door were made by various other manufacturers as well.    It also appears to be missing some of the bolt work and/or locking mechanism though I can't see enough in the photos to commend further.

I'm not sure what other info I can provide at this time.   If you have any specific questions I would be happy to look at them.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)