Locksmithing/key

Question
If a person loses their car key you suggested that they take their vin number to the dealer and they will cut you another. What prevents a car thief from taking your vin number to a dealer and have one cut and then steal your car?  

Answer
Hello Norm,

It is up to the dealer to determine if the person requesting a new key is the owner of the vehicle.  Most dealerships require that the vehicle was purchased from them so they have records of the owner that they can match with a driver's license or other ID, plus they will already have the key codes on file.

If it is a locksmith making a new key, they will require proof as well, but in addition, the owner must call the manufacturer to obtain the key codes.  The manufacturer will then contact the locksmith and give them the codes so they can make a new key.  The manufacturer has on file the owner's name, address, phone and other important information that they will ask of the person calling to verify ownership before giving out any codes.

The VIN doesn't contain the key codes as a lot of people think, it just identifies the vehicle.  Locksmiths don't have the ability to use the VIN to get codes either.  VINs and codes are filed with the original dealer and the manufacturer...although sometimes the codes are wrong.

James
www.jmlock.com

Locksmithing

James