Logistics/Supply Chain/delivery of products, outlets operation procedures and 3PL

Question
when the goods are prepared to be delivered from the DC to the retail stores, what are the procedures after the stores receive the goods? What are the duties of the staff of the stores? And Is it necessary for the retail stores to send a confirmation receipt to the DC to inform the delivery of products?

Besides, we hired a transport company to support local delivery to the retail outlets. However the contractor has a fair performance with a 90% on-time delivery rate. How can the contracted transport company achieve 100% on-time delivery?

Thank you~~

Answer
Hi Gabi -

Procedures for receiving goods are usually tailored to the type, size and internal priorities of the retail outlet. There isn't a one-size-fits-all approach, at least not that I know of. In general, retail stores will receive goods and immediately place them in an on-site storage area, which in small stores may only be a back room. Then during low-volume times, for instance at night, the staff will restock and face the shelves.

There can be distinctions for special pack product, like end displays or by register-boxes -- but these are usually documented via legal agreements between the retailer and the vendor.

Now let's talk about receipt of goods. Someone should confirm receipt, but the retailer doesn't have to be responsible for it. Instead, the broker can handle it, or the trucker can have the retailer sign an acceptance document. Some brokers and vendors offer (for an extra charge) the service of forced signed acceptance so the truck doesn't deliver the product and leave without anyone accepting it.

Now let's talk about performance. How can a transport company achieve 100% on time delivery? Usually this isn't economical for either the transport company or its customers. Why doesn't Wal-Mart use FedEx to ship it's products from DC's to stores? You see what I mean?

So instead of going that route, you've got to determine the root cause(s) of the poor performance. Look to your own company first. Are you are booking the container pickups within the transport company's lead time? Are you on-time when the outbound trucks arrive at your DC? Does your equipment load the container onto the semi within tolerated specs? If everything is fine here, then talk with your transport company. They should be able to give insight into any internal delays that aren't readily apparent.

If they have no idea why, then you might try other things like booking your pickups farther into the future and allowing extra time in your planning for delivery. If you keep expanding this, you will increase your accuracy, albiet at a cost (more inventory in holding and in-transit).

Finally, you can always engage the services of another transport company. You should get references and check them out first. In addition, you might also want to add a punitive clause to your contract -- in essence penalties for underperformance.

I hope this has been helpful! Please reply if I can clarify anything.
-Israel  

Logistics/Supply Chain

Israel B. Bentch