Louisiana/New Orleans french quarter.

Hello Ray.  My husband , daughter (10 years old) and I will be visiting and staying in the  FR for a week -the second week of July. I consider ourselves foodie, we love to travel and eat what the local eats ( well, especially seafood, or I should say see-food. See it, eat it ! ). We are not the bar hoping and drinking type, but would like to explore some of the music scene and may be visit a plantation. What would you recommend ? Are there places we should absolutely avoid- what and why ? Yes, the breakfast brunch and dinner cruise offer in the tourist guide look nice but seem a little pricy .... Any suggestion?

Thank you for your input,

First, will you have a car? Or plan to rent a car? Jean Lafitte swamp is very interesting and easy to get to . . . but without a car you need a tour.( Plantations are all outside the city and you need a bus/van tour (lots of them) or a car. Can be worth it to rent a car for 1-2 days to do these things.

Also remember July-August is our worst weather. 90-100 with high humidity. So doing things outside is tough. Prepare to sweat.

Music scene is vibrant on Frenchmen St= right next to FQ but a 10 yo will not be allowed in most clubs and possibly some restaurants. Possible exception is Snug Harbor, the best place for music (

There are over 1700 restaurants in New Orleans (up from 800 just 8 years ago) so many are new. Best bet is to go to Trip Advisor ( and look at the restaurant reviews. Then Google that restaurant for more info and menu.

Also the Zoo is surprisingly good and has a Swamp exhibit that can partially substitute for the real deal. Plus you can get there on the streetcar or bus easily. Also the Aquarium is at the edge of the FQ and will be a cool retreat from the heat. Kids should love both. The ferry boat near the Aquarium is a quick back and forth for $1 I think. Fun and simple

Any other questions, write back.

PS - More . . .
Here are several other links. The Audubon Experience Package is a good deal and can be used over 4 separate days (Zoo + Aquarium + Insectarium + IMAX movie).

All good things for a 10 yo.

Also the Wax Museum is in the FQ - old and strange, but still an interesting stop. Tastes vary but I like it- in an old-fashioned way.

Also visiting historic homes in the FQ.

Both homes are interesting.  

Long time resident of New Orleans, I can provide information on the city, transportation, jazz and classical music, restaurants, night clubs,the French Quarter, museums and festivals. Where to go and not to go. Practical advice for travelers as well as very detailed advice for jazz lovers.

Over 25 years of jazz clubs, bars, concerts, restaurants living and working in downtown New Orleans.