hi dr Ulbrich
my daughter was diagnosed with lupus in april 2012 after an episode of butterfly rash and joint pain. she is 24 years old and used to be very healthy girl with almost no health problems at all. she is also a professional basketball player with a very active life style. since april she has been sick most of the time joint pain, fatigue, mood swings, etc, but since last monthes shes experiencing  a consistant chest pain that becomes very sharp when she laughs or do an activity. after un ultra sound the dr said theres an inflamation on the lungs that is due to lupus and it will go away with medication like profinid. anyway im really concerened about this recent issue especially bec she cant laugh due to this pain and its so sad to see her first laugh then cry from pain. Is this normal and consistant wit lupus? Is there medication to treat this recent chest pain besides b-profinid ?
note: shes already taking plaqunil for joint pain and did the Mabtera therapy in september, 4 doses.
Thank you and i hope to hear from u soon.

Hello Raya-
Thank you for writing.
I need to tell you up front that I am not a doctor- I am a lupus patient.

I also had the pain in the chest and fluid on the lungs due to lupus. For me, we got it under control using prednisone. Prednisone is not a fun drug, in that it has a lot of nasty side effects, but it got my inflammation under control. It saved my kidneys and got my lungs back to normal, so I could exercise (and laugh!) again. I love a good hearty laugh.

Some lupus patients start on a high dose then stay on the prednisone at a low dose indefinitely. I did not want to do that, because of the long-term side effects. So, for me, I got on it, got everything under control, made some big dietary changes, and weaned off the prednisone completely after 9 months on it.

I'd like to suggest these very helpful articles about healing naturally from autoimmune disease:

Your daughter might enjoy my blog:

And if you need more information on lupus symptoms andavalable medications:

Best wishes-

Carla Ulbrich

The Singing Patient: Author, Humorous Songwriter and Entertainer

_____________ performance  info and dates - funny songs

get Carla's book!

Carla Ulbrich

I can answer questions such as "what is lupus?" (How common is it? Is it contagious? What are the symptoms? etc.). Also, I can answer questions such as "what are the available treatments for lupus?" (both standard and alternative). Really, I'll take almost any question on lupus, though. If I can't answer it, I'll be very surprised, but I'll also go find someone who can.

I've been living with lupus (SLE) since 1992. I've had three severe bouts with it, including symptoms such as kidney failure and stroke (if you can call having a stroke a "symptom"). I have completely regained my health, though I have to be mindful to take care of myself, lest I get sick again. I use both mainstream and alternative medicine, and have tried just about everything under the sun to alleviate symptoms. A lot of it worked.

Lupus Foundation of America Association for Applied and Therapeutic Humor Toastmasters Folk Alliance

How Can You Not Laugh at a Time Like This? (Tell Me Press, pub.) What is Laughter Lupus Sundial Newsletter

BA in music (UNC-Greensboro)

Novelty Song of the Year, Just Plain Folk Awards Winner, South Florida Folk Festival Song Competition Lupus Foundation of America Seal of Approval (for book)

Medicaid Conference Alaska Palliative Care Conference Right at Home Health Care SePHIMA Anritsu Club Med Nursing in Practice