Lupus/support

Question
hi..i had sent this question to you, but it looks to have not gone over for some reason. anyway, i have a co worker just diagnosed with lupus. the question is, what are some good ways to show support for someone in this situation? thank you!!

Answer
Hi James-

Thanks f or writing in. Please forgive my delayed response- I've been traveling, visiting family.

What a wonderful question. I'm pleased for your friend that you have the desire to help.

The first question to ask yourself is:
What are you good at? And what are you comfortable doing?
For example: sitting and listening, making small talk about light subjects, running errands, cooking, laundry, cleaning, dog-walking, babysitting? Going to doctor appointments together?

The household tasks are hard to keep up with when you are ill, and especially if you are using what energy you have to go to work- and then you come home to children who need you.

So, I would suggest thinking about what you can offer that you can follow through on, then ask your friend if you can help with that. If she says "no thanks" then just let her know if she thinks of some way you can be helpful, please ask. We can be proud, we patients, and it takes a while sometimes to learn to accept help. But maybe she'll be receptive right away.

Thanks on behalf of all of us who have been there for viewing her with compassion and trying to find a way to be supportive.

Carla Ulbrich
The Singing Patient

Lupus

Carla Ulbrich