I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with me and from a list of symptoms I've seen about Candida overgrowth, I think Candida is likely.
I've been experiencin excess gas and stomach growling, some discolored toenails, tiredness of a morning, and rectal itching. Most notably, my INR was at an extreme level for me the last time I had it checked. I've been taking Coumadin for over a year due to a DVT.  In early Sept, it was 1.9 and when I had it checked a couple of weeks ago, it was 6.3. I blamed it on taking Motrin for a couple of weeks, but I'm not sure if that would be sufficient to account for that large difference in my INR. So can Candida overgrowth affect one's INR level?

Hi Jeff-
I apologize for the lateness of my reply.
I overlooked your question and I am sorry.

It does sound like you probably have candida overgrowth.

My husband is on coumadin, so I am familiar with the INR measurements and the drug, and the importance of keeping your INR in a safe range. He has a kit that allows him to measure his INR at home every week and call it in to his doctor. Perhaps you could get something like that, if insurance allows. The fluctuation from 1.9 to 6.3 if pretty extreme. Did the doctors change the dose of your coumadin when you got the 1.9 result? If so, that alone would explain the change in your INR.

I've never heard of candida overgrowth affecting INR.

However, if you take diflucan (Fluconazole) to kill off yeast, it can definitely affect your INR.
Have you been prescribed anything for yeast?

2 other things that affect INR (besides changing dose of coumadin or taking diflucan) are
- smoking
- a change in diet. It's important to be very consistent with the amount of certain foods you eat when on coumadin (which, once you have a DVT, is often for life). Leafy greens, strawberries, cranberry juice, to name a few, should be eaten in the same amount from week to week to keep the INR level steady.

Hope this is helpful.
All the best-

Carla Ulbrich

I can answer questions such as "what is lupus?" (How common is it? Is it contagious? What are the symptoms? etc.). Also, I can answer questions such as "what are the available treatments for lupus?" (both standard and alternative). Really, I'll take almost any question on lupus, though. If I can't answer it, I'll be very surprised, but I'll also go find someone who can.

I've been living with lupus (SLE) since 1992. I've had three severe bouts with it, including symptoms such as kidney failure and stroke (if you can call having a stroke a "symptom"). I have completely regained my health, though I have to be mindful to take care of myself, lest I get sick again. I use both mainstream and alternative medicine, and have tried just about everything under the sun to alleviate symptoms. A lot of it worked.

Lupus Foundation of America Association for Applied and Therapeutic Humor Toastmasters Folk Alliance

How Can You Not Laugh at a Time Like This? (Tell Me Press, pub.) What is Laughter Lupus Sundial Newsletter

BA in music (UNC-Greensboro)

Novelty Song of the Year, Just Plain Folk Awards Winner, South Florida Folk Festival Song Competition Lupus Foundation of America Seal of Approval (for book)

Medicaid Conference Alaska Palliative Care Conference Right at Home Health Care SePHIMA Anritsu Club Med Nursing in Practice