Lupus/facial rash?

I'm writing from Canada. I was wondering if you can give me some more information on the lupus facial rashes (butterfly rash).

I have very fair skin that burns easily. I also flush and blush very easy. When I exercise my face stays red for an hour or more.

The other night I felt warm while cooking dinner(I was wearing a sweater and warm socks). My feet felt very hot too. My face was flushed. I took off the socks and sweater and eventually cooled down and after a few hours the face flushing decreased. I had spent some time in the sun that day, and I did have a small drink while cooking dinner (alcohol does flush my face). Although the feet cooled down and the flushed face got much better. I did notice that I was slightly pink off and on the next couple of days. Could have been slight colour from the sun though.

How long do lupus rashes last for?

Hi Kathy!

It's hard to say how long a rash can last with lupus. Lupus shows itself different from one person to the next.
But what you describe does not sound like a malar rash.
You might consider whether you possibly have rosacea.
Facial flushing is entirely different from the malar rash.
The malar rash typically lasts for days or weeks or even longer, not a matter of hours.

I'm not a medical professional (I'm a fellow patient).
If you have an appointment anytime soon with a professional, remember to ask them about the facial flushing, and be sure to mention all the factors you described here.
All the best-

Carla Ulbrich

I can answer questions such as "what is lupus?" (How common is it? Is it contagious? What are the symptoms? etc.). Also, I can answer questions such as "what are the available treatments for lupus?" (both standard and alternative). Really, I'll take almost any question on lupus, though. If I can't answer it, I'll be very surprised, but I'll also go find someone who can.

I've been living with lupus (SLE) since 1992. I've had three severe bouts with it, including symptoms such as kidney failure and stroke (if you can call having a stroke a "symptom"). I have completely regained my health, though I have to be mindful to take care of myself, lest I get sick again. I use both mainstream and alternative medicine, and have tried just about everything under the sun to alleviate symptoms. A lot of it worked.

Lupus Foundation of America Association for Applied and Therapeutic Humor Toastmasters Folk Alliance

How Can You Not Laugh at a Time Like This? (Tell Me Press, pub.) What is Laughter Lupus Sundial Newsletter

BA in music (UNC-Greensboro)

Novelty Song of the Year, Just Plain Folk Awards Winner, South Florida Folk Festival Song Competition Lupus Foundation of America Seal of Approval (for book)

Medicaid Conference Alaska Palliative Care Conference Right at Home Health Care SePHIMA Anritsu Club Med Nursing in Practice