Lupus/Lab Test

Hi Dr, my primary doctor has been running different tests to see what I have (lyme?, MS?, lupus?) b/c my symptoms seem to fit all/some of the above.  The only test so far that is showing anything is the ANA test.  It came back borderline positive 1:180.  I'm not sure what to do next and my doctor said he didn't think that was high enough to explain my symptoms - so he'll see me in three months.  Meanwhile I'm getting worse (numbness, headaches, joint pain,etc) I want to go back and ask for further testing but I don't even know what to ask for?  What would your next step be for a patient that is borderline?
thank you inadvance for volunteering your time!

ANA is an antibody test, there are no lab tests for MS specifically, and this will not be a test that is indicative of Lymes. MS has to basically be tested through MRI, which if that hasn't been done and you can insist it be done.

Aside from that, I would try to find a good functional Medicine practitioner in your area. They look at labs a little differently and can assess different things contributing to your symptoms- of which could include food allergies/ sensitivities, celiac disease, or candida infection. If your doctor isn't doing anything for 3 months... this could be because he hasn't found anything significant on physical examination, but if they have not done a good neurological examination then they need to start there.

I hope this is helpful in some way, ANA is not diagnostic for anything specific and I'm sure they're waiting to see if it gets better or worse. For now I would cut out Gluten and Dairy from your diet, and increase your water intake to half your body weight in ounces and see what happens.  

Dr. Kalli Prater

I can answer questions about nutrition for autoimmune diseases, especially those with Lupus. Questions about when to seek medical help, when and what alternative therapies are recommended. Alternative therapy effectiveness compared to traditional medical treatment. Also answering questions about lab testing for Lupus, functional lab interpretations and how to turn around your blood work.

Currently treat many autoimmune patients with my biggest success in Lupus through dietary modification. With a reversal of lab work and off all medication in less than 1 years time, my interest is in giving back the quality of life to people with Lupus and autoimmune disease.

America Chiropractic Association

I am a Doctor of Chiropractic with almost 300 post graduate hours in internal medicine and diagnosis of internal disorders. By focusing on proper diagnosis, treatment with diet and nutrition as a complement to traditional medical intervention and management quality of life is attainable.

Recognized as a leader in the field of Chiropractic by the International Association of Health Care Professionals 2014

Currently oversee the treatment of a patient with lupus who has changed her diet and has mad drastic improvements in health including no longer taking medication for her condition. This patient is currently preparing for a home birth with her first non-risk pregnancy and her 4th child. The patient was able to stay out of the hospital for common colds and allergies when previously she would spend 2-3 days for any issue in the ER trying to manage inflammation and flare ups.