Lutherans/Lutherans vs. Seventh Day Adventists

Alexandra A. wrote at 2011-08-27 06:37:35
I, too, am a LCMS Christian. I have to say that I think the answer that was given to you was excellent! The Seventh Day Adventists doctrine is making quite a circulation on the internet. It appears that they are totally consumed with the belief that the Catholic Church, more specifically the pope himself, will lead the U.S.A. to no longer allow Saturday worship services, through fiat, perhaps; and that those who willingly go along with this are following Satan and will receive the mark of the beast, etc...(It seems as though they are trying to justify their "Saturday is the Sabbath" belief(s), capitalizing on fear). My fiance was Catholic, and I was not about to change denominations. I told him how I felt, what I believed, and why. And I explained why I loved this church so much! And that I loved him so much, too. He, soon, agreed to be baptised Lutheran. Soon after, when we got married, he took instructions and was confirmed Lutheran. That was 34 years ago this past June. I'm sure my parents were praying during that time. I was a head-strong 19 year-old accompanied by some hopeful prayers that God must've answered. I hope your daughter is/remains politely adamant. I hope the Holy Spirit leads this man to see things her way. I will pray for this situation, because as a mother of 2 sons, I can truly understand. I hope it turns out well for you all! God be with you through Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior! Alexandra A. **PS You may e-mail me, if you'd like.

Jaan wrote at 2014-05-18 16:38:17
The reason that Sabbatarians keep the seventh day sabbath is NOT because of some revelation from Ellen G. White but because it is commanded by God in the 4th commandment (3rd by Lutheran numbering)

Exodus 20:8-11  Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy.  Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the SEVENTH day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant,  nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger yhat is within thy gates:  For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested on yhe seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do his COMMANDMENTS,  that they may have the right to tue tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city. (New Jerusalem)

The Seventh day Sabbath is from Friday sunset to Saturday sunset.

The First day is from Saturday sunset to Sunday sunset.

The commandment clearly states that God rested on the SEVENTH DAY and that we are to do the same.  Are we going to follow God or man.  

Rev. Jason P. Peterson

I welcome the opportunity to answer questions regarding the beliefs and practices Lutheran Christians, especially questions comparing Lutherans with other Christian denominations or questions which contrast between various kinds of Lutherans. I am especially familiar with the more conservative Lutheran denominations (LCMS, ELS, WELS, etc.). I also take a great interest in examining new Christian movements and popular trends in Christianity from a Lutheran perspective. In addition, I can answer most questions about the original Greek text of the New Testament and its meaning, as well as questions regarding liturgy, evangelism, and preaching. A special area of interest in my ministry is race track chaplaincy/ministry, and I would love to provide information and guidance for anyone interested in this area.

I have been a pastor in the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod for the past six years at St. John's Lutheran Church in Burt, IA. I currently serve as chairman of the Commission on Ministerial Growth & Support of the Missouri Synod's Iowa District West and as Track Chaplain at Algona Raceway in Algona, IA. I also write as a religion columnist for two local newspapers.

Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod

Algona Upper Des Moines (newspaper) Bancroft Register (newspaper)

B.A. Concordia University - Ann Arbor, MI (Biblical Languages) M.Div. Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, IN (Exegetical Theology, Pastoral Ministry & Missions)

Zion Lutheran Church (Columbia City, IN) Zion Lutheran Church (Altamont, IL) St. John's Lutheran Church (Burt, IA) Zion Lutheran Church (Lu Verne, IA) Algona Raceway (IA) Fairmont Raceway (MN) Hancock County Speedway (Britt, IA) Clay County Fairgrounds Raceway (Spencer, IA)