Lutherans/buddhism, christianity salvation

Question
Hi. I am writing an essay comparing my religion (Pure Land Buddhism) to Christianity. I was surprised by the similarities (compassion, salvation through faith), but there is one point I'm unclear on. In Buddhism (this is true for all sects) we are saved from suffering that arises from ignorance and craving that binds us to the wheel of rebirth. What do Christians believe they are saved from?

Answer
Sakura,

Thanks for your question.  As an college instructor of world religions, the question you are describing sounds a lot like an assignment I often give to the students in my classes.  

For Christians, the thing that one is saved from is eternal punishment.

Christians believe that humans live only one life, and at the end of that life, they are judged by God.  The standard for this judgment is perfect obedience to the laws of the Bible, so based on their own performance, every human would be condemned to eternal punishment.  

The one exception is Jesus, who is fully human, but also fully God, and born without a human father, because God was His father and He was born to His mother, Mary while she was still a virgin.  Christians believe that Jesus did live a perfect life, but then was executed by crucifixion even though He was innocent.  While He was dying, God the Father abandoned Him, therefore He endured the punishment (death and abandonment by God) that is deserved by all humans.  

As a result, any person who trusts in Jesus to forgive their sins against God's law will be judged as if they were perfect, because He becomes their substitute.  Anyone who relies on their own ability or any other god rejects salvation and is eternally punished, because their own efforts were imperfect.  

This eternal punishment is described in various ways in the Bible, but they involve such things as pain, sorrow, fire, and torment.  On one occasion, Jesus compares it to a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem that is constantly on fire and stinks of rotting and burning flesh.  

Lutherans

Rev. Jason P. Peterson