Lutherans/Adoptism

Question
QUESTION: I asked Michael a question on the miracles of Jesus and he gave me a good answer He mentioned in our dialog "adoptism" i was hoping that you could put me in contact with him again and he can explain to me what "adoptism" is? he told me that that was a heresy dealt by the early church, this is the first I heard of it.

ANSWER: Hello, James,

I can't help you get in touch with Michael. You have to write to him directly. If he's not on the list, he may be not answering questions right now.

As for your question, I was unfamiliar with the term "adoptism", but not with the concept. I did some online research. It would appear that the heresy involved believing that God the Father adopted Jesus as His Son because of Jesus' perfect life, so in effect, it denies the eternal deity of Christ. It was a rejection of the concept of the Trinity. It was one of several heresies at the time that resulted in a clear formulation of the doctrine of the Trinity, particularly in the Nicene Creed. The heresy is also known as "adoptionism". Let me know if you want any more detailed explanation of any of this. May the Lord bless you.

QUESTION: Thank you for your answer I think this is what Michael was talking about, (adoptionism)this is food for thought.

Answer
Hello, James,

Thank you very much for the kind rating. By the way, I am not a pastor. I am simply a person who has been a Lutheran nearly all my life, and who has studied deeply in many relevant subjects. I have been regarded as an expert particularly in the area of cults.

The term "adoptism" IS used to describe the same concept.

Do you have a problem with the concept of the Trinity? Find it confusing or anything? Let me know. We can talk about it.

Lutherans

Pat G