Lutherans/Lutheran compared to Catholic

Question
I am now a Catholic for 58 years. But I don't believe in many things my religion tells me to and I'm thinking of changing religions. I am not gay but believe in their right to marriage and children. I was told that I can't receive communion because of my support to gays. I married a man who was married twice before, in a Methodist church because he was not good enough for me to marry in the Catholic church. We will be married 30 years in August. I love children yet many priests have abused them and their higher ups have hidden and protected these priests instead of protecting the children. With my beliefs of gay marriages would I be able to receive communion in the Lutheran church.

Answer
Donna:

Thank you for your email.

Yes, you would be welcome at the Table in any ELCA Lutheran church of which I am aware.  We tend not to have a "thought police" policy when it comes to the Eucharistic Table, and practice an open table where all are welcome.  

Now, full disclosure: there are different branches/denominations of Lutherans in the U.S. If you were to attend a LCMS (Missouri Synod) or WELS (Concision Synod)Lutheran congregation, they do have "closed tables" that are generally only open to members of those respective denominations.  Generally, you must check in with the pastor before-hand.

I hope that this is helpful.

Martin Eldred  

Lutherans

Martin W. Eldred