Lutherans/adult baptism

Question
what is involved for an adult to be baptized?

Answer
With infants and young children, they are usually Baptized first and instructed later.  They would then be confirmed, in acknowledgment of the gifts given to them in Baptism, after their instruction.  With adults, the order is reversed among Lutherans.

Typically when an adult hears the message of Jesus and believes it, they would then begin instruction in the teachings of the Christian faith with their pastor.  At the conclusion of their instruction, they would then be Baptized, as well as Confirmed, simultaneously.  I know of churches where they do adult instruction in a single all-day session on a Saturday, and others where they may meet weekly for as much a year prior to Baptism/Confirmation.  Typically it is between those extremes, with group instruction lasting 12-15 weeks and individual instruction lasting as long as necessary for the individual to grasp the material.  

Lutherans

Rev. Jason P. Peterson