Lutherans/My Wife and I

Dear Rev. Peterson,

You have been a great help to me in the past and I was hoping you could answer yet another question for me regarding the LC-MS. I am carefully considering joining, but my wife has no interest in doing so. Will this present a problem for me if I choose to pursue becoming a member?

Thanks for reading and for sending your questions.  I apologize for the delay in answering your question.  Somehow the message notifying me of your submission got lost in the system and I only found out about it today.

For individuals considering instruction for membership in an LCMS congregation, the participation of one's spouse is not an issue, since there are no Biblical commands that a person cannot become part of a congregation without their spouse.  In fact, in my experience, I rarely instruct a husband and a wife together.  I have often instructed one spouse while the other remains a non-Christian or part of another denomination; at other times, I have instructed a spouse who is just now joining the congregation after their spouse has been a member already for along time.  

The only instance in which the religious affiliation of a man's wife would be an issue in the LCMS is if he desired to become a pastor.  In such a case, he could not pursue entrance into the ministry without his wife also being a member of one of our congregations.  

Rev. Jason P. Peterson

I welcome the opportunity to answer questions regarding the beliefs and practices Lutheran Christians, especially questions comparing Lutherans with other Christian denominations or questions which contrast between various kinds of Lutherans. I am especially familiar with the more conservative Lutheran denominations (LCMS, ELS, WELS, etc.). I also take a great interest in examining new Christian movements and popular trends in Christianity from a Lutheran perspective. In addition, I can answer most questions about the original Greek text of the New Testament and its meaning, as well as questions regarding liturgy, evangelism, and preaching. A special area of interest in my ministry is race track chaplaincy/ministry, and I would love to provide information and guidance for anyone interested in this area.

I have been a pastor in the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod for the past six years at St. John's Lutheran Church in Burt, IA. I currently serve as chairman of the Commission on Ministerial Growth & Support of the Missouri Synod's Iowa District West and as Track Chaplain at Algona Raceway in Algona, IA. I also write as a religion columnist for two local newspapers.

Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod

Algona Upper Des Moines (newspaper) Bancroft Register (newspaper)

B.A. Concordia University - Ann Arbor, MI (Biblical Languages) M.Div. Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, IN (Exegetical Theology, Pastoral Ministry & Missions)

Zion Lutheran Church (Columbia City, IN) Zion Lutheran Church (Altamont, IL) St. John's Lutheran Church (Burt, IA) Zion Lutheran Church (Lu Verne, IA) Algona Raceway (IA) Fairmont Raceway (MN) Hancock County Speedway (Britt, IA) Clay County Fairgrounds Raceway (Spencer, IA)