Lutherans/Body

Question
Peace!
Many people in the new testament touched the body of Jesus. Now there is this bread that people eat at Lutheran services. How is touching this bread different from touching of the body of Jesus that people did in the Gospels?

Answer
Lutherans teach, along with Scripture that the bread eaten in the Lord's Supper "is" the body of Christ.  This is in contrast to the Roman Catholic teaching that the bread "becomes" the body of Christ and is no longer bread, in spite of appearance.  It is also in contrast to the Calvinist teaching that one physically eats bread, but the believer's heart ascends to heaven to feed on the body of Christ in a spiritual manner.  Additionally, it contrasts most strongly against the protestant teaching that the bread only symbolizes or represents Jesus' body (like a divinely-mandated object lesson).  

Since Lutheran theology does not desire to speak where Scripture has not spoken, they rarely say  more than that the bread "is" the body of Christ, though, and leave further reconciliation of the mystery to exist in tension.  It is bread, yet it is the body of Christ.  I fear I would not do justice to the nuance of this paradox if I try to summarize, so instead I will point you to two classic Lutheran treatments of this topic.  The first is Luther's "Confession Concerning Christ's Supper," in which he discusses the idea that Jesus body and blood are truly (not merely spiritually or symbolically) present in the Lord's Supper.  An excerpt of this writing can be found at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ve7Sybjp5s8C&pg=PA62&lpg=PA62&dq=confession+con

Additionally, the Book of Concord, which is an official declaration of the Lutheran position on the matter, explains Christ's presence in the Lord's Supper in response to many controversies and errors.  A translation of this document can be found at:

http://bookofconcord.org/sd-supper.php

Lutherans

Rev. Jason P. Peterson