Lutherans/Jesus and God

I have a question relating to some verses I have read. I was hoping you could provide an answer for me

Can you please explain just who Jesus is in relation to God.  Is he the Almighty, is one   individual that makes up the Almighty, if he is one of three individual that makes up the Almighty, Are he and The Father and the Holy Ghost all considered to be Gods in their own right. Or is Jesus one aspect of  the One God.

So when we read God in the Bible just who is that referring to?  This has to do with the following verses as they  seem to be saying Jesus had a God the same God that his followers had

John 2:17  Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Colossians 1:3 We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,

Thank you for your time

Thank you for your question.  I apologize for my tardiness, some health issues have kept me away for a bit.

In classic, orthodox Christianity, God is described as a Trinity: Father, Son, Holy Spirit.  In the first three to four centuries after Jesus, the early church tried to find language to fit what they saw as the revelation of God as three persons, but one God.  Eventually formulas of faith such as the Apostles' Creed and later, the Nicene Creed, were adopted as definitive expressions of this Trinitarian theology.

God was affirmed as the Creator and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Jesus, the Son, was also affirmed, in the words of the Nicene Creed, "true God from true God, begotten not made, of one being with the Father."  Thus, the Church came to see that the revelation of Jesus Christ as human was also the simultaneous revelation of God with us (Emmanuel).  Jesus was fully God and fully human in the miracle of God's power and grace for and with us.  Jesus refers to the Father as, "Father" which is why were use that term as well.  On earth, Jesus called God, "Father" which is less a term of being subordinate than one of respect and marking his earthly humiliation or human form.

The Holy Spirit was also given the same consideration as one, "who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified." (Nicene Creed)

All three make up the Godhead.  Separate persons, one God.  God the Father.  God the Son. God the Holy Spirit. It is a mystery I only begin to comprehend but trust more on faith.  It is never an easy theology to wrap one's head around.  Smarter people than me have struggled to put this down in words over the centuries, and I think we all are more like blind people in the dark describing an elephant.  We try our best, but I think some things are beyond our ability or capacity to fully know.  I love how St. Paul describes so much of the mystery of life and faith in I Corinthians 13: "Then we shall know fully, as we have been fully known."

I hope that this is helpful.

Martin Eldred

Martin W. Eldred

I have been a Lutheran Christian for 55 years and a Lutheran pastor for almost 27. I can answer most general questions about Luther, Lutheran History, Lutheran Theology, and a Lutheran approach to Biblical Interpretation. I am ELCA, for those who know what that means, and I tend to be moderate theologically. I hope that I can converse with those that are either more conservative or liberal than I, and especially with those who are really just seeking.

Pastors are "generalists" and generally have a working knowledge on many subjects. We are also used to working with a variety of answers from a variety of people. I teach a great deal, especially in the area ofthe New Testament. I particulalry enjoy the Pauline literature.

I have been a member of the Society of Biblical Literature, an international gathering of biblical scholars and teachers, since the late 1980s.

I have written a few book reviews for the journal, "Lutheran Quarterly."

I have a B.A. from Pacific Lutheran University in Religion (Biblical Studies)and a Master of Divinity from Wartburg Theological Seminary, and I am currently completing a PhD in New Testament.